- Published: Friday, July 29, 2016 10:52 AM
Free health and fitness services, back-to-school supplies, activities and food will be available for families and residents from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, August 6. State Senator Mattie Hunter (D-Chicago), the Human Resources Development Institute and State Representative Sonya Harper (D-Chicago) are providing free health screenings at their 13th annual Health Fun & Fitness Fair.
The event will be located at the Illinois Institute of Technology on 33rd and State streets. Free eye and dental examinations will be offered, along with health screenings and information on nutrition, exercise and holistic health. The festivities will include performances, raffles, prizes, food and refreshments.
“As Chicagoans, we should remember to take care of our loved ones by doing everything we can to make our communities stronger and healthier. Getting active, having fun and remaining safe are all possible when a neighborhood becomes a family,” said Hunter.
Fair highlights include:
• Free physicals for students entering first, fifth and ninth grades, along with immunizations and lead testing. Parents or guardians must accompany children under 18 for physicals and provide shot records for children in need of immunizations.
• Health screenings – blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, osteoporosis and diabetes
• Back-to-school giveaways – Free haircuts , book bags and school supplies
• Free food and entertainment – live performances by the World Champion South Shore Drill, Team, the World Champion Jesse White Tumblers, “Just Jossie" Dance Fitness, VanderCook College of Music Drum Circle and Paula Hand Hula Hoops on the Main Entertainment Stage, Balloon release- tribute for victims of violent crimes and breast cancer
• Raffles and prizes – free passes to the Chicago Children’s Museum and Direct Energy’s raffles for a Nest smart-learning thermostat for parents and a Kindle for children.
• AT&T Shredder – (2) bags only per car
The Health, Fun & Fitness Fair participants include:
• Ada S. McKinley, Chicago Commons, Chicago Dental Association, Chicago Public Schools CPS, CHIRO-ONE – (Medulla LLC), Community Care Alliance, Cook County Health and Hospital System and CountyCare/Provident, Direct Energy, EverThrive Formerly Illinois Maternal & Child Health Coalition Campaign to Save Our Mothers & Babies, Firman Community Services, Friend Family Health Center, Gads Hill, Gilda’s Club Chicago, Grand Boulevard Coalition, H3 Helping Hands that Heal, Holy Cross Hospital, HRDI, Illinois College of Optometry, Illinois Department of Public Health, Illinois Public Health Association, Illinois State Treasurer, Imagine Englewood If, Institute for Positive Living – Open Book Program, Jackson Park, Jencare, Johnnie Lewis DPMPC, Just Jossie, Kidney Smart, Lawrence Hall, Lurie Hospital, Mercy Hospital, Mollina Health Care, Mt. Sinai Hospital, Urban Health Institute, Helping Her Live Program, National Caucus and Center on Black Aging, Peoples Gas, Resurrection Project, Rush Alzheimer’s Disease, Senior Assist Inc., South Shore Hospital, UIC Health Sickle Cell Center Chicago, University of Chicago, Vessel Resource Business & Training Site, WellCare Health Plans, What If..Carolyn Y. Adams Breast Cancer FD, Oak Street Health
• St. Bernard Hospital Mobile Unit- will offer physicals and screenings in a clean sterile environment (please bring your child's updated shot record)
• Illinois Department of Public Health- will offer a variety of screenings
• Lurie Hospital- Lurie Ambulance will demonstrate car safety proper driving procedures
• Mobile Care Chicago- will have on paper screenings for asthma, asthma education, social services